Recognized as a TESL Canada Standard One
Registered as a Private Career College
EC Toronto is a teacher-training centre for the University of Cambridge’s Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA).
As part of our teacher-training program, EC Toronto English school needs volunteer students to participate in free English lessons given by our student teachers in the CELTA program. CELTA free classes are provided at the beginner to upper intermediate levels. All lessons are carefully supervised by our teacher trainers.
Classes are held every Monday to Friday, from 2:45pm to 4:45 pm at EC TORONTO, at 124 Eglinton Avenue West, a few steps away from the Eglinton Subway Station at Yonge Street.
How can I enroll for free English classes?
Visit the EC Toronto office between:
9:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday to Thursday
9:00 am - 4:30 pm Friday
When are the free classes scheduled?
Each course is 4 weeks long, and classes are held Monday to Friday from 2:45 pm to 4:45 pm.
Session Start Dates in 2013:
- January 7
- February 11
- April 1
- April 29
- June 3
- July 2
- August 6
- September 3
- October 7
- November 4
*Courses are 4 weeks long
*Please note that you can join classes at any time after the start dates, as long as there is space in the class.
Can I join after the start date?
Yes, if there is space in the class.
What is the course content?
- Analysis and practice of grammar
- Practical language for everyday situations
- Focus on a wide range of vocabulary which can be put to immediate use in everyday situations
- Focus on pronunciation improvement
- A strong emphasis on developing the 4 language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Emphasis on development of motivation and confidence in English
Are there any entrance requirements?
To join a free English class, you must:
- be at least 16 years old
- agree to study for a minimum of 4 weeks
- agree to come to class on time
- pay a deposit of $40 for each course you attend
Is the deposit refundable?
Half of the deposit ($20) is returned to you only if you attend 80% or more of the classes in the session. Absence from class is permitted for a valid reason.
Are there any other conditions?
Courses for any session may be full. When this happens, we will put you on the waiting list. You will hear from us as soon as a place in your level becomes available. For the teacher training program to run smoothly, full attendance is required. You must:
- attend on the first day of class
- tell EC if you will need to be absent from class
- tell EC if you are no longer able to attend class Spaces in classes are limited and are given on a first-come first served basis. You may attend as many courses as you wish. Over time, you will probably repeat materials.