Bringing your classroom into your home with live online English classes
Ever thought you would like to learn English live online? EC Virtual brings English language learning to the comfort of your home using the innovative EC curriculum.
Our two or five days per week online English language course will enable you to improve your English, at a time of your choosing.
We're accredited by the British Council, powered by National Geographic Learning, and with access to EC Online to provide an effective and learner-centred English learning experience.
Book your EC Virtual course
Improve your English with live online English lessons
Included in your online English course
✓ Live classes at a time chosen by individual students. Multiple time zones available
✓ Lessons delivered by qualified, experienced English-speaking teachers
✓ 2 or 5 days of 90-minute face-to-face virtual English classes
✓ 30 minutes a day of structured classmate collaboration
✓ Unlimited self-study with access to materials on EC Online
✓ Learner Oriented Assessment
✓ FREE access to Microsoft Office for 12 months including Word, PowerPoint, and much more!
✓ Ability to upgrade and add one-to-one lessons
Your EC Virtual Options
Learn English online with EC Virtual, choose from these two convenient options.
|EC Virtual Premium||EC Virtual Standard|
|Frequency||5 days per week||2 days per week|
|Days||Monday to Friday||Tuesday and Thursday|
|Hours per week||7.5 hours per week||3 hours per week|
|Lessons per day||2 x 45 min lesson per day||2 x 45 min lesson per day|
|Lesson times - London time||00:00, 08:00, 12:00, 16:00||10:00, 18:00|
|Course length||1 week minimum||10 weeks|
|Start dates||Every Monday||16th Mar, 20th Apr, 25th May,
29th Jun, 3rd Aug, 7th Sept, 12th Oct, 16th Nov
Take a free trial lesson
National Geographic Learning
While studying with EC Virtual, you'll also have access to EC Online, where you'll find plenty of self-study materials available for you. Thanks to our key partnership with National Geographic Learning you will have access to engaging learning materials that develop global competencies alongside English language skills.
Want to know more?
EC Virtual Premium and Standard Prices 2021
|Prices per week||Hours per week||Collaboration per week||1-11 weeks||12+ weeks||One module (10 weeks)||Three modules (30 weeks)|
|EC Virtual Premium (5 days a week)||7.5||2.5||99 EURO||79 EURO||-||-|
|EC Virtual Standard (2 days a week) Min. 10 weeks||3||1||-||-||400 EURO||1,125 EURO|
Registration Fee: 25 EURO
Course Materials: 25 EURO
Voted Best Online Course
We were voted best online programme by Ryugaku Journal students. We were chosen in recognition of providing excellence in online programs in the key areas of teaching & quality of lessons, number of opportunities to speak in a class, length of a lesson, recommendation, number of levels.Contact us
What is an EC Virtual class like?
Watch a pre-recorded lesson
See what it's like to be an EC Virtual student, take a look at a typical lesson. As an EC Virtual student, you will interact in live lessons with students from all over the world as you learn from a qualified EC London teacher. Enter your details to watch this recorded lesson.
Our Online English Lessons Methodology
Your EC Virtual lesson day looks like this, you will have pre- and post-lesson assignments set by your teacher. This is to ensure you practise the skills you are learning and to improve your English as quickly and effectively as possible.
○ Pre-class assignment for students to prepare for their lesson– this could be reading a book or article, watching a video, etc.
○ Students study materials at their own pace, allowing them to come to the classroom discussions feeling confident and prepared.
During the class
(90 minutes: 2 sessions of 45 minutes each)
○ Small groups of 8-10 students from around the world with a teacher collaborating via video while they:
✓ Outline objectives and goals.
✓ Discuss the questions and task from the pre-class assignment.
✓ Review the language systems and skills associated with the class content.
✓ Review any questions and set up the post-class collaborative activity.
✓ Set up pre-assignment for next day.
Collaborative activity post-class
○ Students will do a writing or speaking collaboration activity to be uploaded on Teams.
○ This activity allows students to process and consolidate what they learned in the teacher-led session.
○ It also helps the student to understand and assess their own learning and to become a more effective learner.
○ Students will discuss virtually with the group and the teacher will monitor the chat.
Take A FREE Trial Lesson
Try a EC Virtual class for free! We know taking a course is a big step, so we are offering you the chance to take a trial lesson with one of our qualified teachers. All you have to do is let us when when you would like to attend. Sign up below. Are you an EC agent? Please sign up hereGet your FREE trail lesson
Our focus is on better learning outcomes for online English classes through our experienced teachers who are all qualified as well as through a combination of:
i) virtual learning
ii) online collaboration with other students and
Research has proven that this combination increases overall student learning in online learning environments, allowing more time for student reflection, collaboration and student-to-student interactions.
Our Passion for Teaching
Meet some of the teachers helping students achieve their goals on EC Virtual.
You've got a Question? We've got the Answer!
If you still can't find what you are looking for, please contact us for more information on how to learn English online with EC Virtual.
1. Why have we created an online learning option?
We have always celebrated innovation, so we are proud to bring the classroom into your home with our new EC Virtual online English classes! Our focus is on better learning outcomes for online classes through our experienced teachers who are all qualified English speakers as well as through a combination of:
i) virtual learning
ii) online collaboration with other students and
2. How will my lessons be delivered?
When you learn English online with EC, lessons will be delivered through Microsoft Teams, a great platform for remote learning that works from any desktop, tablet or phone.
Microsoft Teams has everything teachers need to create engaging learning environments, from content and assignments to collaborative classrooms and chats.
We will email you with instructions of how to log into the Teams website. You will then have free access to the full suite of Microsoft Office products for one year!
If you have any issues logging in, or you do not receive the email mentioned above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. What does the Microsoft suite include?
When downloading Microsoft Teams, you will also get FREE access to Microsoft Office for 12 months, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, and much more!
4. What are the minimum technical requirements for Microsoft Teams?
Please see the minimum technical requirements for MS Teams here
5. Is online learning as effective as in-school classes?
We have designed a programme that covers all the effective methods for language study – face-to-face online lessons, collaborative work with classmates, and self-study.
Online English classes have a different dynamic from regular lessons, so we have;
1. Reduced the number of students in these lessons
2. Reduced the time spent in larger group calls.
This reduces the 'zoom fatigue' that people experience from spending too much time on long calls with larger groups of people – but don’t worry we have added Structured Collaboration. This is time you spend working on a task with a fellow student. This form of interaction is less exhausting and because it is carefully structured with really clear goals – and excellent learning event.
6. Do EC Virtual lessons follow the same curriculum as in-person classes?
Yes! Online English classes will follow the same EC curriculum and use the same National Geographic Learning books as in regular classes. This curriculum is supplemented by our online learning platform EC Online.
7. What are the starting course dates?
EC Virtual Premium / EC Virtual IELTS 5 and IELTS 3 start every Monday.
EC Virtual Standard / EC Virtual IELTS 2 start every Tuesday
All courses are on weekdays, from Monday to Friday based on the London times. Please note if you are studying at 00:00 London in South America you will be studying Sunday – Thursday.
Bookings and payments should be completed by Wednesday, to join the induction on Friday, and start classes Monday. Bookings received after the Wednesday cut-off, will need to start with the Induction the following week on Friday.
8. What is the minimum age of participation?
The minimum age to attend our online courses is 16.
9. Is induction important?
Attending your induction is very important. At your induction we
1. Check your level to make sure you are going to the right class
2. Give you your ebook and explain how to use it
3. Help you become familiar with MS Teams so you can get the best out of it
4. Introduce you to EC English for your online study
5. Explain how the online course works, so you can make the best progress
6. Review online safety to make sure your learning environment is safe.
If you have not attended your induction and do not take your test, your course start will be delayed.
10. Can I have a trial lesson?
Yes! For General English there is a recorded lesson for you to see, on demand.
For exam students, every Tuesday there are trial lessons
Students please visit pages.ecenglish.com/en/ec-virtual-students to book your Tuesday session FREE of charge!
11. Do I have to pay in full before my course starts to book?
Yes. In order to send you the booking confirmation with your credentials and access to EC Virtual, you will be asked to pay in full. Please note that this process will take a minimum of 48 hours when paying by card and up to 7 days when paying by bank transfer. We kindly ask you to consider this when choosing the start date of your online course.
12. What are the accepted methods of payment?
We accept payment by credit/debit card (VISA, MasterCard) using an online payment link we will send you, or by international bank transfer. The full payment must be made within 24 hours after receiving the invoice. Please note that you will only be able to start your course when we send you the credentials and access after receiving the full payment, and this process will take a minimum of 48 hours when paying by card and up to 7 days when paying by bank transfer. We kindly ask you to consider this when choosing the start date of your online course.
13. When will I receive the credentials and access to EC Virtual?
Once we have received full payment, we will send you the booking confirmation, log in instructions, username, and password. This process will take a minimum of 48 hours when paying by card and up to 7 days when paying by bank transfer. We kindly ask you to consider this when choosing the start date of your online course.
14. Can I extend the online course week by week?
Yes, you can, but your course will stop week by week as well and you will break the flow of your learning experience. We highly recommend booking a minimum of 4 weeks at a time. If you are not sure if our online English course will fit your needs, kindly contact us and request a trial lesson!
15. How can I book?
Please contact your Student Advisor or reply to the last email you received from us. In order to place your booking, we would need the following details:
Date of birth -
Email address -
Starting date -
Starting lesson time (please choose from the following schedule depending on where you are currently based here) -
How many weeks? -
Would you like to add individual lessons to your course? If yes, how many (45mins each)?
If you want to add individual lessons the price is as follows:
1 – 2 lessons: EUR 60.00 per lesson
3 – 4 lessons: EUR 55.00 per lesson
5 – 9 lessons: EUR 50.00 per lesson
10+ lessons: EUR 45:00 per lesson
16. What is included in the price?
Live classes in a time zone that works best for you, 24 hours a day! A variety of times available depending on your course.
Course eBooks powered by National Geographic Learning
• Access to our qualified English teachers
• 90 minutes a day of face-to-face virtual English teaching (2 x 45-minute sessions with a 5-minute break in-between)
• 30 minutes a day of structured collaboration with your classmates
• Full access to EC Onlinewith many self-study resources (over 1,500 grammar exercises and 200 Flashpoints – up to date articles or videos on a current news topic with a set of exercises around them)
• Regular assessment, designed to help you progress.
FREE access to Microsoft Office for 12 months, including Word, PowerPoint, and much more!
• Ability to upgrade and add private one-to-one lessons
17. How will the lessons be organised?
When you learn English online with EC Virtual, your time will look like this:
Pre-Class Assignment (15 minutes)
• Pre-class assignment for students to prepare for their lesson– this could be reading a book or article, watching a video, etc
• Students study materials at their own pace, allowing them to come to the classroom discussions feeling confident and prepared to participate fully in the lesson.
Online Session (90 minutes)
Students collaborate via video with small groups of 4-8 students and the teacher where you outline your objectives and goals, discuss the questions and task from the pre-class assignment, review any questions, and set up the post-class collaborative activity as well as the pre-class assignment for the next day. Students should be prepared for a much more intensive class than a normal face-to-face session!
10 mins: introduction and catch up
5 mins: objectives and goals
20 mins: discussing the questions & text
20 mins: reviewing any grammar or vocabulary questions
20 mins: practising the language in context
15 mins: setting up a post-lesson task and assigning pre-task for next day
Post-Session Activity (30 minutes)
After the online lesson the teacher will assign a collaboration task to be uploaded on Teams
This activity allows students to process and consolidate what they learned in the teacher-led session.
It also helps the student to understand and assess their own learning and to become a more effective learner.
Students will discuss virtually in pairs or a small group and teacher will monitor the chat.
EC Online Course Work
Assignments, playlists, and study plans will provide the student with assigned work to complete on EC Online. This will be monitored by their teacher.
18. How many students are in the online session?
The virtual session will have a maximum of 10 students (8 for IELTS) and will be much more intensive than a regular face-to-face class.
19. Will lessons be available at different times?
You will have a variety of lesson times depending on the programme.
Lesson times - London time EC Virtual Premium 00:00 08:00 12:00 16:00 EC Virtual Standard 10:00 18:00
20. Is it possible to change the timetable once I started the course?
Yes! If the schedule you chose for your EC Virtual course is not the ideal for you, you will be able to change it, but only after the end of a full week. You will begin with the new time the following Monday. It's not possible to change in the middle of a week.
21. Where are the teachers from?
All of our academic team are experienced and qualified English teachers.
22. Which kind of certification do the teachers have?
All our teachers meet the qualification requirements of the British Council accreditation – CELTA or equivalent is the minimum qualification.
23. How do you group students together for the class
We will ask you to complete your placement test through EC Online a few days before your starting date, and we will assign you to the according level depending on your results.
24. How many classes will I have to attend each day/week?
All of them! Your attendance will be monitored. If you are below 80% attendance the Director of Studies will speak to you. This includes your pre- and post-session tasks – your teacher will check these have been completed and if they have not been, you will be marked absent for half the lesson.
25. Will I have technical assistance while trying to log in on Teams, etc?
You will receive an email from EC with your username and password to use for Teams. Simply follow the instructions to log into Teams and if you have any issues or you haven't received this email with your credentials, please contact us at the following email address:
We will be in touch with you. Please keep checking your emails!
You can also watch this video using the link below for guidance on how to set up and log into Teams:
26. Will my attendance be monitored?
If you are not prepared for your online session or if you do not hand in your post-session activity, you will be marked absent for half the lesson.
27. What if I fail to attend because of tech issues, e.g., internet connection, and such?
You can contact the Director of Studies immediately. If you miss a lesson due to your technical issues, we will not make this lesson up but we will give you an overview so you can self-study.
28. If I have a problem with my class/level, what should I do?
You need to speak to your teacher; you can do this easily within the Teams chat function.
29. Will I be able to see these instructions on EC Online
Yes, EC Online has a homepage banner announcing the new platform with all the necessary information and instructions.
30. Will there be a placement test?
Yes, we will ask you to complete your placement test through EC Online a few days before your start date, and we will assign you to the according level depending on your results.
31. How long will I continue to have access to EC Online once my EC Virtual course finishes?
For 3 months after your course ends.
32. Will there be any assessment?
Yes, we have assessment built in to all our courses. These assement processes are designed to help our students maximise their progress and a guideline can be found here
33. Will I get a certificate at the end of the course?
Yes, once your online English course is finished, you will receive an e-certificate. A hard copy can be provided for a small charge
34. Are online one-to-one lessons also available?
Yes! We are also offering online one-to-one lessons. Each lesson will be 60 minutes. Prices start from EUR60 each. It’s possible to bundle these for a discounted price:
1 – 2 lessons: EUR 60.00 per lesson
3 – 4 lessons: EUR 55.00 per lesson
5 – 9 lessons: EUR 50.00 per lesson
10+ lessons: EUR 45:00 per lesson
Please note that these One to One lessons can be focused on any area you choose
35. Do you offer Exam preparation courses (TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge, etc.)?
We currently offer an IELTS exam skill course.
If you require other exam preparation we can offer one to one lessons.
36. Is it possible to book online One to One lessons only without booking any group classes?
Yes, you can.
37. When is the latest I can book a course to start the following Monday?
We must receive all bookings with payment by the Wednesday before the course start date (on Monday). This allows you to join a Friday induction session before your Monday classes. Any bookings received after the Wednesday deadline will have your induction on Friday the following week.
38. How often do I take level tests?
Assessments are completely personalised and you are tested on teacher recommendation based on your participation in class and on collaborative tasks.
39. What is the difference between studying French with EC Virtual vs English?
We offer all of the same things on our French course as our English course, aside from a few differences. For EC French, you can book one time zone (14:00 London time), which corresponds to our Montreal teachers’ time zone. French students also study using local learning materials, rather than National Geographic Learning materials and they don’t have access to EC Online during or after their course.
40. When are upcoming EC Virtual holidays? What happens to classes missed because of holidays?
Holidays when no classes will be held are the following: Good Friday, Easter Monday Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
Any public holidays that occur during a student’s program will appear on the booking confirmation and there is no refund for lessons missed due to a public holiday.
All published course start dates fall on a Monday; however, if this day is a public holiday, the course will begin on the following working day.
41. Why do I have to have my camera switched on?
If your camera is not switched on it makes it harder to build communicative competence in the online classroom. For more information on why your camera should be switched on, please see our blog here