A lot of our students have trouble figuring out the coins and notes in Britain. Check out the helpful language below and then try some of the questions at the bottom. The answers are at the bottom of the blog so you can check and see if you were right.
2 pounds 1 pound 50p
20p 10p 2p a penny
A few extra points:
- In British English, a pound can also be called a quid. In American English, a dollar is also known as a buck.
- For example £3 could be called 3 quid.
- N.B. quid is uncountable but pound is countable.
- A five pound note can be called five quid or a fiver.
- A ten pound note can be called ten quid or a tenner.
- A twenty pound note can be called twenty quid but NOT a twentier.
1) How much are the following coins worth?
2) And these?
3) What would you call the following?
a) a tenner b) Five bucks c) a fiver d) five quids
4) What would you call the following?
a) a twentier b) 20p c) 20 quid d) 20 monies
If you’d like more short quick lessons and activities, check out our EC London 30+ website.
If you’re thinking about learning English or are looking for more information on the English courses on offer at EC London 30+ please check the website above.