Each week on our adult English course at EC LONDON 30+ one of our teachers delivers a free lecture to our students. The idea is that at some point in the future our students will need to attend a presentation, a lecture or a speech in English and we would like to give them some real-life experience in this area.
Yesterday in our weekly lecture, we spoke about the history of the English language, looking at all of the different influences English has had and all of the changes that have happened to the language over the years. Of all of the information in this lecture, there were a few points that our students found really interesting:
- English is spoken in 101 countries around the world.
- But it is only the 3rd most spoken language in the world after Mandarin and Spanish.
- English speakers do not study English grammar at school. Instead they study the spelling because this is what is most difficult in the English language.
- Shakespearean English is not considered Old English, it is actually Modern English…however, modern English has changed quite a bit since Shakespeare wrote his world-famous plays and sonnets.
Each week our students are invited to learn something knew about British culture or the English language. So far this year we have had lectures on a variety of topics but the most popular have been:
- British Food
- Relations between Ireland and Britain (From 1200 – present day)
- Sherlock Holmes
- The Bloomsbury Set
If you’re interested in learning more about English culture while also improving your English, why not try an adult English course at EC LONDON 30+