Getting a National Insurance Number

Students who would like to apply for paid work in the UK need a National Insurance Number (NIN).

First things first, you need to call 08456 000 643 and explain that you are an international student and that you are looking or have found work. They will ask you a couple of questions, don’t be afraid to ask them to repeat anything if you don’t understand! An appointment will be booked for you at the local Job Centre. You will be asked to provide proof of your identity, proof of your address and proof that you are a student. If you need a visa to enter the UK you must take it with you when you go to your appointment. Before your appointment, you will receive a letter reminding you of the time, place  and all the documents you need to provide.
If you are worried about your level of English you can ask for an interpretor to be present at your appointment.
For more information go to