Ranked among the most prestigious festivals in the world, the Montréal World Film Festival is open to cinema trends from around the world. Every year, films from more than 70 countries are presented. All theatres of the Festival are within walking distance of the Festival’s headquarters, located at Place des Arts.
The goal of the festival is to encourage cultural diversity and understanding among nations, to foster the cinema of all continents by stimulating the development of quality cinema, to promote filmmakers and innovative works, to discover and encourage new talents, and to promote meetings between cinema professionals from around the world.
The World Film Festival – Montreal 2012 will include the following sections:
- World Competition
- First Films World Competition
- Hors Concours (World Greats, out-of competition)
- Focus on World Cinema (Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania)
- Documentaries of the World
- Cinema Under the Stars
- Our Cinema
- Canadian Student Film Festival