Although winter is a magical month in Montreal with all the holiday festivities and beautiful snow days, winter is also flu season. Maybe it’s the lack of sunshine or the cold weather affecting our immune system, winter is when most people get sick with the flu. Health care professionals recommend that everybody get the flu shot to prevent catching the flu virus. They also recommend that everyone do the following:
- eat well and foods rich in vitamin C and zinc
- stay hydrated by drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day
- wash hands regularly
- cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing to avoid spreading the virus
- stay active and physically fit
- avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes
- avoid sharing eating utensils
- stay home if you do have flu like symptoms to avoid spreading the virus
- keep your extremities warm outdoors; head, hands and feet
EC Montreal language school students can always get the flu shot at a neighborhood pharmacy or make an appointment at a walk-in clinic. We want everyone to enjoy the magical winter season in Montreal and avoid being sick in bed for days with the flu.
Even our Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, has set the example and has shared his experience getting the flu shot this year. His message is protect yourself and everyone else.
Wishing a happy and healthy winter season in Montreal!