Gain your CELTA qualification at one of London's most respected schools
EC London offers part-time courses leading to the Cambridge Assessment English CELTA qualification.
Our CELTA course in London is suitable for people who are interested in learning to teach and wish to gain an initial teaching qualification that is recognised world-wide. It is suitable for candidates who have some English Language teaching experience but no initial qualification as well as for people with little or no previous teaching experience.
Our 2021 programme is going online!
Learn more: Online CELTA course from EC London
For updates visit: facebook.com/eclondon.celta.courses
School: +44 2072 423 787
Bookings: +44 2072 423 787
Euston House, 24 Eversholt Street, London, NW1 1AD, UK
CELTA Course Information
2020 Dates & Fees
Saturday 19 September 2020 – Wednesday 2 December 2020 inclusive
Classes are held on Mondays and Wednesdays, 1800-2100. There are also classes on 8 Saturdays, 0930-1600. The dates for the Saturday sessions are 19 September, 26 September, 10 October, 17 October, 24 October, 31 October, 14 November and 21 November.
Course fee: £1200.00 (includes the Cambridge Assessment English entry fee).
NEW for 2020: Online CELTA course from EC London
Applicants will attend a face-to-face interview at EC London. In exceptional circumstances for applicants who are outside the UK, it may be possible to arrange a Skype interview during the same interview period. We do not offer phone interviews.
Once you have been notified that your application has been successful, you will be required to pay the full fees in order to secure your place on the course.
CELTA participants must:
a) have a standard of English (a minimum of Cambridge English CAE Grade A) which would enable you to teach a range of levels
b) have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education
c) be a minimum of 20 years old.
The CELTA course consists of:
1. input sessions led by tutors who will teach you in the way we would like you to teach your students. These sessions cover the following areas:
• Language analysis and awareness (grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation)
• Language skills (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
• Learners and teachers and the learning and teaching context
• Developing teaching skills
• Classroom procedures and skills
• Use of resources and materials including ICT
• Planning lessons
• Adapting published materials for use in lessons
• Introduction to a wider variety of teaching contexts e.g. younger learners, business, examinations, monolingual classes.
2. teaching practice (see below) followed by oral and written feedback from tutors and peers
3. assisted lesson planning
4. 6 hours' observation of experienced teachers.
The course includes six hours' teaching observed by tutors and peers. Course participants have regular teaching practice throughout the course.
You will be observed teaching at two levels during the course and you will teach lessons of up to an hour, depending on the stage of the course.
On days when you are not teaching, you will observe your peers and give constructive feedback on their lessons.
Workload & Assessment
Participants are expected to attend 100% of the course.
During the course, you must:
• teach a total of 6 hours of assessed lessons
• write lesson plans and self evaluations for the lessons you teach
• observe your peers teaching and take part in giving constructive feedback on each others’ lessons
• observe 6 hours of lessons taught by experienced teachers
submit 4 assessed written assignments (comprising of a total of 3000 words).
In addition to the core contact hours, we estimate that participants need to spend a minimum of 80 hours for the required reading, research, pre- and post- session tasks, assignments and lesson preparation.
There is no final written examination. The assessment is continuous and participants are assessed on their language knowledge, planning and lesson preparation, teaching, assignments and professionalism.
Final grades awarded consist of Fail, Pass, Pass B and Pass A.