Where can I work?

CELTA Employment Opportunities

Having a CELTA certificate, along with a university degree, is your guarantee for employment world-wide. It is highly regarded in all countries and in some countries it is the standard qualification for employment as an English language teacher. (ADD) Three quarters of English Language Teaching (ELT) jobs ask for the Cambridge CELTA

CELTA graduates find jobs in private language schools in Canada and abroad, at colleges and universities, at international elementary and secondary schools, doing in-house corporate English lessons, with humanitarian organizations involved in overseas projects and with the JET (Japan Exchange and Teaching) programme.

For information on recognition of teaching certificates generally in Canada, visit the TESL Canada site at http://www.tesl.ca/. For recognition of teaching certificates in Ontario, visit the TESL Ontario site at  http://www.teslontario.org/.

Points to Remember

If you do not possess a completed university degree, even with a CELTA, you will not qualify for employment at any of the Canadian language institutes, either public or private, that are members of Languages Canada. With a university degree and a CELTA, you qualify for employment considerations with public-sector institutions (government funded programs such as LINC). However, these institutions generally prefer a TESL Ontario certification over a CELTA.

You will come across many different acronyms for types of qualifications. TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) and TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) are all common acronyms that mean essentially the same thing. All of these refer to English language teaching qualifications in general.
CELTA is the brand name for the University of Cambridge's English language teaching qualification.

If ads say you need to have a recognized TESL/TEFL/TESOL qualification, employers expect you to have a qualification that they will recognize

For overseas jobs, in most cases this means the CELTA or another certificate that is offered by an internationally known institution and that has international recognition.

For jobs in Canada, this will usually mean a certificate that has recognition from TESL Canada or a provincial TESL organization -it's best to contact employers directly to find out which standard they are seeking.

You may also see alternate names for the CELTA such as RSA, CTEFLA or Cambridge qualifications.

Job Postings

To research jobs currently available around the world, here are some websites where you can start your search:

This site if popular for jobs in Canada, the USA and Asia

This is a great website for a wider job search including Europe, the Americas, Asia and the Middle East

This website is part of the Guardian newspaper published in the UK. It tends to be a good place to find jobs in Europe.

Accreditations, Licenses and Memberships

Apply for CELTA

Take your first step to becoming a CELTA qualified teacher

Apply now