EC Toronto is a teacher-training centre for the University of Cambridge's Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA)
As part of our teacher-training program, EC Toronto English school needs volunteer students to participate in free English lessons given by our student teachers in the CELTA program. CELTA free classes are provided at the pre-intermediate to upper intermediate levels. All lessons are carefully supervised by our teacher trainers.
Full Time classes are held Monday to Friday from 2:15 pm to 4:15 pm. Part Time classes are held Tuesday and Thursday from 6:15 pm to 8:15 pm.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I enroll for free English classes?
Visit the EC Toronto office between:
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday to Thursday
- 9:00 am - 4:30 pm Friday
When are the free classes scheduled?
Each course is 4 weeks long or 11 weeks long. Classes are held Monday to Friday from 2:15 pm to 4:15 pm for the full-time, and Tuesday and Thursday 6:15 pm to 8:15 pm for the part-time.
2018 Session Start Dates:
* Full Time Courses are 4 weeks long.
** Part Time Courses are 11 weeks long.
Can I register for the course?
Yes, if there is space in the class.
What is the course content?
- Analysis and practice of grammar
- Practical language for everyday situations
- Focus on a wide range of vocabulary which can be put to immediate use in everyday situations
- Focus on pronunciation improvement
- A strong emphasis on developing the 4 language skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Emphasis on development of motivation and confidence in English
Are there any entrance requirements?
To join a free English class, you must:
- be at least 16 years old
- agree to study for a minimum of 4 weeks
- agree to come to class on time
- pay a registration fee of $20 for each course you attend
Are there any other conditions?
Courses for any session may be full. When this happens, we will put you on the waiting list. You will hear from us as soon as a place in your level becomes available. For the teacher training program to run smoothly, full attendance is required. You must:
- attend on the first day of class
- tell EC if you will need to be absent from class
- tell EC if you are no longer able to attend class
Spaces in classes are limited and are given on a first-come first served basis. You may attend as many courses as you wish. Over time, you will probably repeat materials.