Toronto DELTA Course Overview
A DELTA course in Toronto requires significant time and effort. Make the most of this investment by studying with us.
- Delta at Language Studies Canada combines seminars and lectures with teaching practice. This will improve your understanding of the English language, as well as demonstrate the principles of effective second language English teaching.
- There are three modules. Module One looks at the background to teaching and learning and is assessed with a written exam. Module Two explores professional practice and is assessed with a portfolio of teaching assignments. Module Three is a specialist extended assignment.
- The written exam for Module One, held in June or December, comprises two papers of 1.5 hours each. You can take the exam here or another approved exam centre.
- The Module Two course is a part-time course, conducted face-to-face over 16 weeks (evenings, 5 pm-8:15 pm and includes six Saturdays, 10 am-3 pm).
- The Module Three course is a part-time mini-course, conducted face-to-face over two evenings (5 pm – 8:15 pm) and one Saturday (10 am-3 pm) with follow up draft and consultation done via email.
- The Module One course is a part-time exam prep course, conducted face-to-face over 4 weeks May 7- May 30, 2018. The classes will be held on Monday and Wednesday evenings (5 pm-8:15 pm) and two selected Saturdays (10 am-3 pm). The Module One exam is on June 6, 2018.
Application for Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults (DELTA)
Applicants must submit the on-line Application Form and the Pre-interview Task. Those applicants who successfully complete the pre-interview task will be contacted for a personal interview. Acceptance on to the course is determined following the interview.
Toronto DELTA Full Course Content
Our course consists of 3 integrated modules:
1. Input Sessions covering the six syllabus areas and exam preparation
Covers the six syllabus areas and exam preparation.
- Understanding, knowledge and language awareness
- The background to teaching and learning English at adult level
- Resources and materials
- Working in the classroom
- Evaluation, monitoring and assessment
- Professional development
- Exam preparation skills and practice
2. Practical Teaching Assignments and Coursework
This involves input sessions, lesson plans, observation and post-lesson evaluation based on topics agreed on by the tutors. A total of six practical teaching assignments will take place during the course.
3. Extended Written Assignment and Case Study
There will also be an extended written assignment involving a case-study of 4000 - 4500 words. There is a mini-course to prepare candidates and support provided via correspondence.
To qualify for the Diploma,you must successfully complete and pass the course work, including practical components. You must also pass a written examination.
Class size is limited to a maximum of 8 candidates for Modules Two/Three, and 12 candidates for Module One. There will be two trainers on each DELTA module.
EC Toronto DELTA Course Trainers
All course trainers have undergone extensive preparation in order to qualify as Delta tutors and are approved by Cambridge ESOL.
Suggested Pre-interview Reading
These are some suggested titles for reading prior to the DELTA Interview:
- Principles of Language Learning and Teaching by H. Douglas Brown (Prentice Hall)
- Principles in Language Teaching by Diane Larsen-Freeman (Oxford University Press)
- Grammar for English Teachers by Martin Parrott (Cambridge University Press) by Scott Thornbury (Macmillan)
- Uncovering Grammar by Scott Thornbury (Macmillan)
2018 Course Dates and Tuition Fees for each Module
|Delta Course||Dates & Notes||Fees (CAD)|
|Module Two||January 8 – April 25 (in-person, part-time)**
6 Saturdays included
|Module Three||March 26, 28 & 31 (in-person, part-time)**
until June 7 (distance)
|Module One||May 7 – 30 (in-person, part-time) and 2 Saturdays**
+ exam June 6
|All 3 Modules||January 8 – June 6, 2018||$5000*|
*(CAD = Canadian Dollars) Fees include taxes, as well as the entry fees for each Module. Discounted pricing on taking all 3 Modules in 2018. In the event of a referral to retake the examination, or the externally assessed teaching component, candidates are responsible for the required additional fees.
**Classes run Monday and Wednesday evenings, 5:00 pm-8:15 pm with Saturdays, 10 am-3 pm.