Adult Terms and Conditions
Payments may be made by bank transfer or credit card and must be received in full 14 days prior to the course start date. A deposit must be paid immediately upon booking. A booking confirmation will only be sent when a deposit has been received. Bank details are provided on the invoice. Payment must include all bank transfer charges (including intermediary bank charges).
- Payment must be received in full prior to any visa documents being issued.
- EC cannot be held responsible for decisions taken by embassies or immigration police regarding entry visas or visa extensions.
- Visa advice can only be given by the appropriate Embassy, Consulate or High Commission. Students should contact their local Embassy, Consulate or High Commission to ensure they are allowed to enter and study in their chosen location. Students must maintain a valid visa status and their course will be terminated without a valid visa.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the most updated regulations/processes are being followed. EC cannot be held responsible for any visa regulation changes which occur after the booking has been confirmed in compliance with the then existing regulations.
- There is a charge of 75USD/80CAD/75GBP/55EUR each
time documents have to be sent by courier. If a visa application is rejected and we receive written evidence at least 7 days prior to arrival, we will refund the fees received in full, less any bank charges and any nonrefundable fees (tuition fee 160USD (US only), registration fee, courier fees and bank charges).
- A cancellation fee equivalent to 1 week of accommodation and tuition in addition to non- refundable charges (above) will apply if we receive written evidence of visa rejection fewer than 7 days prior to arrival.
- Should EC receive positive visa application results fewer than 7 working days prior to arrival, EC reserves the right to offer alternative accommodation, which may incur additional charges.
- Should the arrival day be postponed due to delayed visa applications EC cannot guarantee the original accommodation allocation.
- Should EC have incurred any charges in reserving the accommodation for the student, EC reserve the right to pass these charges on.
US only: EC is authorised under federal law to enroll F-1 non-immigrant students. By law, to issue the I-20 form, with the enrolment form EC must receive: the student’s home address, a copy of the student’s passport, proof of sufficient funds to meet tuition and living expenses through a current (60 days or less) bank statement or letter from either the student’s sponsoring person's or institution's bank.
Sponsors must also provide an affidavit of support.
REFUNDS AND CANCELLATION FEES
- All refunds are made to the original fee payer. No written notification of cancellation is required, except in California.
- If EC cancels a programme after a student’s enrolment, EC will refund all monies already paid.
- Students who require a visa/temporary residence permit may not be able to shorten their course due to the terms of their visa/temporary residence permit.
- In the event that a refund is due, prorated refunds will be calculated on a weekly basis. When determining the number of weeks, EC will consider a partial week the same as if a whole week were completed, provided the student was present at least one day during the scheduled week.
All students attending an EC Centre will be subject to destination specific applicable state or provincial Enrollment and Refund Agreement policies. For US students, when comparing state versus ACCET policies, the more favorable policies for students will applied.
Vancouver Only: For updated refund policies visit: http:// www. ecenglish.com/en/school-locations/canada/learnenglish-in-vancouver/policy-documents California Only: Students who complete 60 percent or less of the period of attendance shall be issued a prorata refund. Accommodation cancellation or postponement prior to arrival
- EC accommodation: Students cancelling or postponing fewer than 14 days before arrival will be charged a one week accommodation fee at the standard accommodation rate and accommodation placement fee.
- Non-EC accommodation (i.e. accommodation contracted by EC through external suppliers) have different cancellation terms. For hotels and self- catering apartments booked through EC but not featured in the EC Price List, reservations must be cancelled or postponed 30 days prior to arrival to avoid a cancellation fee which may amount to the full stay charge. For this reason we remind you that in cases of hotel or self-catering apartment bookings, payment in full is expected one month prior to arrival. EC will inform you of the booking terms when confirming the booking.
Accommodation cancellation after arrival
Students leaving their accommodation must give notice in writing 4 weeks prior to termination. After deducting the price of accommodation used, including the required notice period, charged at standard accommodation rates, students will be refunded the remaining accommodation costs.
If the 4 week notice period is not provided a cancellation fee equal to 4 weeks of the accommodation cost will apply.
Please note: Certain accommodation options may be subject to alternative cancellation charges. Should these differ from above, students will be notified at the time of booking.
Cancellation prior to arrival
- To students cancelling 14 days or fewer prior to the course or accommodation start date (whichever comes first), or to students who have had their visa application rejected, EC will refund fees received in full less non- refundable charges (registration fee, accommodation placement fee, courier fees and student insurance fees, the value of these fees vary according to region, the costs are listed for each school in the price list.
- The refund will be made within 45 days.
Course cancellation, reduction after arrival or "no shows":
For courses of 4 weeks or fewer, lessons cannot be cancelled. Tuition fees are not refundable.
For courses of 5 weeks & over:
- EC Refunds are based on weeks booked and are not prorated based on the day of cancellation. All cancellations made Monday – Friday will not include that week’s tuition in the refund calculations.
- Students who terminate their course in the first 4 weeks: will be refunded all tuition except the first 4 weeks (at the non-discounted rate in EC Price List).
Students who enter the US on an I-20 obtained through EC who either cancel their course prior to the course start date or who never attend their course will be charged the following fees:
- For a programme of 12 weeks or less; all tuition charges for up to 4 weeks, any accommodation charges incurred
and any non-refundable charges (US $160 registration fee, US$85 accommodation placement fee, US$75 courier
fees, and US$19 student insurance fees) - For a programme of 12 weeks or more; all the tuition charges for up to six weeks of the first term/session, any actual accommodation costs incurred by the institution, any non-refundable charges (US$160 registration fee, US$85 accommodation placement fee, US$75 courier fee and US$19 student insurance fee)
- Students wishing to transfer to another non-EC F-1 institution prior to programme start, but after entry to the US, are requested to appear at their school in person, to verify identity, with the appropriate documents in order to be transferred in active status. All I20s will be transferred, as long as appropriate documents provided either in person or via fax/email.
- Students who terminate their course after the 4th week, but before the mid-point of the original course duration:
will be charged a prorated amount of tuition at the nondiscounted rate found in the EC Price List.
- Students who terminate their course after the mid- point of their course will not be refunded.
Refund Due Dates
- For students cancelling before arrival, refunds will be made within 45 calendar days of the first scheduled day of class or the documented date of cancellation, whichever is earlier.
- For students cancelling after arrival, the refund due will be paid within 45 calendar days from noticfication of the cancellation .
- Any refunds due will be paid to the person or organisation who originally paid the fees.
CHANGES TO ENROLMENT
EC reserves the right to charge an administration fee of 150CAD/50GBP/80EUR each time the course, accommodation or centre is changed or postponed after EC has confirmed the initial enrolment. This also includes requests for changes whilst the student is at school. (Not applicable in the USA).
Session breaks are dependent upon destination, course duration and visa requirements and are subject to EC's session break policy, available from: http://partners.ecenglish.com/sessionbreakpolicy.pdf
PUBLIC HOLIDAYS 2017 - FALLING ON A WEEKDAY:
All EC centres will be closed on Public Holidays. Centres do not make up for lessons missed on these dates. Exceptions are made for One-to-One lessons, which will be made up. There is no refund for lessons missed. Published course start dates fall on a Monday. If this day is a public holiday, the course will begin on the following working day.
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS 2017/2018
Schools will be closed on Public holidays during this time (see the individual school price list ). Lessons will not be made up on these days.
REDUCTION OF LESSONS
EC reserves the right to reduce the number of lessons in a
class due to insufficient number of students. The lessons
may be reduced as follows:
- General 20/Exam 20/Academic Year 20/Semi-Intensive 24: If 1-3 students in class lessons reduced to 10 lessons/ week; If 4-6 students in class lessons reduced to 15 lessons/week
- Mini Group 20/Business English Mini Group 20: If 1-3 students in the class lessons reduced to 15 lessons/ week
- Intensive/Exam 30/Academic Year 30: If 1-3 students in class lessons reduced to 15 lessons/week; If 4-6 students
in class lessons reduced to 20 lessons/week
- Mini Group 30/ Business English Mini Group 30: If 1-3 students in the class lessons reduced to 20 lessons/week
- Club 50+: If 1-3 students in class - courses change to standard Mini Group 20 and the social programme will change slightly.
REISSUING LOST/MISPLACED STUDENT CERTIFICATES
LEVEL OF ENGLISH/FRENCH
If a student does not have the minimum level of English/ French required to follow a specific course, as determined by EC’s Placement Test, EC reserves the right to move the student to an appropriate course for their level.
Recipients of scholarship or government grants should expect to pay a deposit to the school they are attending in cases where reimbursement to the school is not provided prior to the student commencing their course.
Flight details including: arrival time, flight numbers, airline and point of origin must be advised 7 days prior to arrival in order for EC to provide airport transfers. No refunds will be granted on transfers if flight details are not sent to EC at least 7 days prior to arrival. Airport transfer fees include a maximum of 1 hour waiting time. In the event of delays exceeding 1 hour, students will be charged the additional fee at the school.
- Courses run from Monday to Friday and are scheduled in the morning and/or afternoon. EC reserves the right to change timetable structure.
- Special focus classes, free language workshops and language activities may vary between centres and are subject to change due to availability.
- Private lessons will be scheduled subject to teacher/ classroom availability.
- EC reserves the right to use classrooms in alternative premises of a similar standard.
- Students arriving between 20.00 – 08.00 may be asked to book alternative accommodation in a hotel on their first night due to late/early arrival at accommodation. Some accommodation options may charge late arrival surcharges, this information is available on request
- Where possible special dietary requirements will be accommodated. Availability and any applicable fees will be confirmed upon request
- EC may use carefully selected partners to house students with suitable Homestay providers.
- Students must arrive at Homestay accommodation before 22:00. Students arriving after 22:00 may be asked to book alternative accommodation in a hotel on their first night due to late/early arrival at Homestay. Applies to Homestay in all destinations except Malta.
Please note EC does not provide supervision for students who book an adult course.
EC reserves the right to expel students for unacceptable or unlawful behavior or lack of attendance. No refund will be given and any unpaid fees become immediately payable (excluding US). Repatriation is at student’s own expense. EC requires that students maintain an attendance level of a minimum of 80%.
PHOTOGRAPHY & FILMING
Students agree that photographs, videos, artwork or other works, as well as recorded or written testimonials; may be used, stored or transferred internationally by EC, or by a third party agent, for promotional purposes including printed and online marketing materials and on any social media network without further consent or notification. If students do not wish to participate, EC will respect their wishes but it is the student’s responsibility to absent themselves from the photograph/video.
Students must report any mental or physical illness, allergy, disability or condition that may interfere with their ability to successfully complete their programme, that may impact the wellbeing of any other student or staff member, that may require monitoring, treatment or emergency intervention during the student’s period of enrolment, or that may require special accommodation. EC reserves the right to terminate a student’s enrolment if the students' participation represents a risk to their, other students or staff members’ health and safety, or if, notwithstanding reasonable accommodations, in the opinion of EC, the student's physical or mental condition makes the student unable to successfully complete their programme. Refunds are at the discretion of EC.
DAMAGE TO PROPERTY
Students must pay the full cost of any damage they cause to property. Damage deposits may apply to certain accommodation options. These are payable upon arrival, or the first day of school.
Student Insurance is available from EC:
UK and Malta: Combined health and travel insurance.
US, Canada and Cape Town: Health insurance only.
- For detailed information on the insurance policies above, please refer to your EC contact or the EC Partners Site.
- Students must have adequate health, accident and travel insurance while attending any programmes. EC schools in the US and Canada require students to show a proof of health insurance upon arrival. Where proof is not available, students must immediately purchase at least one week's insurance from EC. EC reserves the right to claim this cost from uninsured students, and during this week students must purchase insurance for their entire stay. Uninsured students may not attend class until proof of insurance is available, and will not be refunded for lost class time.
- Students attending an EC On-Campus program may be required to purchase university insurance. Please refer to your EC contact for details.
EC and its staff and representatives will not be liable for loss, damage or injury to persons or property howsoever caused, except where liability is expressly imposed by law. EC will not be liable in the event that any service contracted to be supplied by EC becomes impossible to supply for any reason or any cause outside the control of EC.
EC will not be responsible for any failure to comply with any of its obligations (and therefore shall not be required to provide any compensation) if the failure is occasioned by any cause beyond EC’s reasonable control. Nor shall EC be responsible for any costs incurred by or on behalf of the student as a result of any such cause. Such causes shall include but shall not be limited to act of government, war, threat of war, riot, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster, unusually adverse weather conditions and infectious diseases.
Students attending an on campus school are advised that campus facilities may not be available during campus holidays.
On Campus schools may require students to provide a Health Declaration and Immunization form in advance of arrival.
EC Terms and Conditions are applicable to all students and agents representing students.
Prices are valid from 1 January 2017. Prices are subject to change without notice and will be confirmed upon invoicing.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The current EC Terms and Conditions supersede any previous Terms & Conditions that were applicable at the time of student’s booking
Young Learners Terms and Conditions
Payments may be effected by bank transfer or credit card and must be received in full 14 days prior to the programme start date. Bank details are provided on the invoice. Payment must include all bank transfer charges. For groups, specific terms and conditions apply.
A deposit of 285USD/285CAD/200GBP/200EUR is to be paid by credit card prior to any visa documents being issued. For cancellations, postponements and changes made to the original booking and communicated 14 days or more prior to arrival: deposit will be refunded.
For cancellations, postponements and changes made to the original booking and communicated less than 14 days prior to arrival: deposit will not be refunded.
Should the arrival day be postponed due to delayed visa applications, EC cannot guarantee the original accommodation allocation.
Whilst EC endeavours to support students at all times, EC cannot be held responsible for decisions taken by embassies or immigration police regarding entry visas or visa extensions.
CHANGES TO ENROLMENT
EC reserves the right to charge an administration fee of 65CAD/50GBP/80EUR each time the programme, accommodation or centre is changed or postponed after EC has confirmed the initial enrolment. This also includes requests for changes whilst the student is at school.
REFUNDS AND CANCELLATION FEES
Written notification of cancellation must be submitted in order to provide refunds. All refunds are made to the original fee payer.
Cancellation prior to arrival for individuals
For students cancelling over 14 days prior to the programme or accommodation start date (whichever comes first), EC will refund fees received in full. Students cancelling 14 days or fewer, prior to the programme or accommodation start date (whichever comes first) will be charged a cancellation fee equivalent to 1 week of the package price.
Cancellation after arrival or “no shows” for individuals
No refunds will be given by the school once the student has started his/her programme.
Cancellation for groups
Additional group cancellation policies apply. Please
contact your EC representative for more information.
REISSUING LOST/MISPLACED STUDENT CERTIFICATES
Students travelling as unaccompanied minors to the US, Canada, the UK and Malta, require an EC representative to provide an additional service upon arrival and departure. The surcharge for this service is notes in the pricelist. Please advise the school at the time of booking if the student is travelling as an unaccompanied minor.
Accommodation on full board includes: breakfast, lunch and evening meals. Accommodation on half board includes: breakfast and evening meals. Any additional meals, snacks or drinks must be purchased by the student.
Where minimum age is stated as
07 years - students should be born in 2010
08 years - students should be born in 2009
10 years - students should be born in 2007
13 years - students should be born in 2004
16 years - students should be born in 2001
EC will not be responsible for any failure to comply with any of its obligations (and, therefore, shall not be required to provide any compensation) if the failure is occasioned by any cause beyond EC's reasonable control; nor shall EC be responsible for any costs incurred by or on behalf of the student as a result of any such cause. Such causes shall include but shall not be limited to war, threat of war, riot, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster and unusually adverse weather conditions.
Without prejudice to the foregoing, EC will do its utmost to provide the necessary care of students affected by causes beyond its control; however extra accommodation, transfers, repatriation and any other expenses resulting from such causes are to be borne by the student. In any such case, students might have to be accommodated in emergency accommodation which may not be of the same standard or located in the same geographical area as the accommodation that would otherwise be provided by EC in terms of its obligations. If, notwithstanding that it has no obligation to do so, EC covers any costs for which the student is responsible, EC shall be refunded such costs in full.
All programmes with the exception of Summer CampProgrammes: Whilst EC staff members are accessible through emergency telephones 24 hours a day, these programmes do not include 24-hour supervision.
Summer Camp Programmes: Students are provided with 24-hour supervision.
EC reserves the right to expel students for unacceptable behaviour including, but not limited to, possession or consumption of illegal drugs and alcohol, smoking in restricted areas, malicious damage to school property or place of accommodation, threatening other students' safety, breaking local law and not respecting curfew times. No refund will be given. Repatriation is at students' own expense.
DAMAGE TO PROPERTY
Students must pay the full cost of any damage they cause to property. Damage deposit may apply in certain residences, to be paid upon arrival.
Students must have adequate health, accident and travel insurance while attending any of our programmes.
EC Malta: On a request basis, EC will consider midweek arrivals and departures based on a 7-night week. Students arriving and departing on a weekday will not make up missed lessons or activities.
All students under 18 years old, must provide a signed parental consent form, in order to participate in the given activity programme and to be able to receive medical assistance if needed.
EC must be provided with any specific medical information which applies to the student. Any student arriving with a serious medical condition not previously reported, or which requires regular staff supervision, may be sent home without any refund of fees. Any costs incurred through repatriation will be borne by the student.
EC will not be held liable for loss, damage or injury to persons or property.
PHOTOGRAPHY & FILMING
EC may take promotional photographs and video footage of students. If students do not wish to participate, EC will respect their wishes but it is students' responsibility to absent themselves.
Arrival and departure details including: arrival and departure time, flight numbers, airline and point of origin MUST be advised 7 days prior to arrival in order for EC to provide airport transfers.
Public holidays 2017 - falling on a weekday:
Malta: 14 Apr, 29 Jun, 15 Aug
LA: 04 July
EC will not make up for lessons missed on these dates. There is no refund for lessons missed. School is open on public holidays in Canada.
EC reserves the right to make changes to the leisure programme due to weather conditions or any other reasons beyond our control.
Students must respect curfew times where applicable.
In exceptional circumstances, EC reserves the right to use classrooms or accommodation in alternative premises of a similar standard.
EC reserves the right to introduce a double-banking schedule, alternating between morning and afternoon sessions. EC reserves the right to amend lesson timetables; however, the total number of lessons per week or programme would not be affected.
In residential accommodation the third/fourth bed may be a folding bed/sofa bed/pull-out bed which is normal practice in residences worldwide. In certain accommodation bunk beds may be used.
PLUS PROGRAMMES & EXTRA OPTIONS
Students booking Plus Programmes and Extra Options may not be able to attend all scheduled activities. If numbers aren’t reached extra options might have to be cancelled and refunded accordingly.
EC does not provide a pocket money service for students. Parents should ensure their children have sufficient pocket money for the duration of their stay. Should students require pocket money during their stay, parents are asked to transfer funds through an international transfer service.
Whilst EC endeavours to accommodate special requests such as room sharing, this cannot be guaranteed.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The current EC Terms and Conditions supersede any previous Terms & Conditions that were applicable at the time of student’s booking.