It’s a new year, and it can also be time for a new start to your studies and New York experience. In addition to studying our basic English classes in New York, we’ve put together some of our best tips for a successful 2014:
- Make changes to your habits. What do you need to do better this year? Are you often late to class? Do you need to wake up earlier? Study harder? Speak English more outside of class? Think about what you need to do to succeed, and commit yourself to doing it! Hint: Don’t try to change everything at once – take small steps, and don’t get angry with yourself if you don’t do everything.
- Make the most of your time. For many of you, this may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to focus exclusively on studying English in a foreign country! When you return home, you’ll have the responsibilities of your job or university. Take advantage of all that New York and ECNY has to offer.
- Try something new. Why not challenge yourself and try a new elective? Language of Music, Film Studies and other classes can help you learn about other areas of American culture and learn the language to talk about these things! It can be a great opportunity to challenge yourself and learn something new!
- Let New York be your classroom. There are endless museums, concerts, plays and other cultural experiences just waiting for you! Engage yourself in the culture while improving your English!
- Don’t be so hard on yourself. Learning a new language is a process, it takes a long time to master. It’s easy to get frustrated, but as long as you continue to work hard, you will achieve your goals. Don’t stress – it’s only English!
By Jamey Sadownick