Just one day left to go! While everyone is running to the grocery store to pick up last minute cider and pie, we’ve compiled a list of fun Thanksgiving facts. ECSD, did you know that…
- Sarah Josepha Hale convinced Abraham Lincoln to make Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863.
- Sarah Josepha Hale also wrote the nursery rhyme “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”
- 46 million turkeys were eaten on Thanksgiving in 2012.
- A turkey typically has 70% white meat and 30% dark meat. White meat has fewer calories and less fat than dark meat.
- While turkey contains tryptophan (a natural sedative), there’s not enough of this amino acid in the meat to make you sleepy…You get drowsy because your body is working to digest all of that food (food coma).
- 50% of Americans put stuffing inside the turkey.
- The first Thanksgiving menu: wild goose/duck, wild turkey, deer, flint corn, shellfish, fish, eels.
- Pilgrims probably wore earth-tone colors, not black and white.
- They also didn’t wear buckled hats.
- Yams and sweet potatoes are completely unrelated.
Now that you’re a Thanksgiving buff, you can show off your knowledgeable self at the dinner table with friends and family. Have a very happy Thanksgiving, EC San Diego! 🙂