As the leaves start to change colour and fall gently to the ground, we know that autumn has arrived. For many of us, this means packing away our summer clothes and getting ready for cooler weather which will be a welcome respite after the heatwaves much of the planet has experienced. But it also signals a new beginning – a chance to take on new challenges and set ourselves up for success in the year ahead.
Whether you’re starting a new job, going back to school, or simply taking on a new hobby, fall is the perfect time to challenge yourself and learn something new. So why not take advantage of this opportunity and commit to learning something new this season? It gives you something to focus on for rainy days as the English would say…
Not sure where to start? Here are a few ideas:
1. Learn a new language – yes, of course we would say that! But by learning English, the world of learning other subjects really does open up to you. You can learn just about anything online, but many of the quality courses are delivered in English so have a look at our General English classes
2. Join a book club or reading group. Spend less time on Facebook and get into real books. Talking about books is almost as pleasurable as reading them! You may want to re-read a book you have discussed with friends to see their perspective. If you think you have no time to read, check your screen time across your devices to see where it all goes.
3. Attend a seminar or workshop on something you’re interested in and investigate how to incorporate it into your life. Perhaps this will mean more study, travel or even a new job.
4. Volunteer for a cause you’re passionate about. If it is animal conservation or helping with children, we can help you too. EC Cape Town has volunteering opportunities
5. Plan one of your bucket list trips; research, plan your itinerary, book experiences, learn a few words of the local language and ask around for recommendations so you don’t miss a thing!
No matter what you choose to do, make sure it’s something that excites and inspires you. Learning should be fun, so don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Who knows, you might just surprise yourself!