1. Make mistakes! As counterintuitive as it seems, you need to make mistakes – it shows you are trying. Plus, every error is a learning opportunity. Ideally, this is done in an environment that is non-threatening such in a great English class at EC Sydney.
2. Make friends with people from all over the world. Not only does this make you open to the many cultures and different perspectives on life, but it also means that you need a common language to communicate. This is one of the reasons that English has become so widespread throughout the world. People use English for international business and travel. What better reason to learn English than to make friends with people from every corner of the globe?
3. Immerse yourself in the language. This can be done by travelling or moving to a country where the language is spoken, but you can also try switching the language on your smartphone, laptop or tablet, reading, listening to music or podcasts, or watching movies in the language you want to learn.
4. Remember, you don’t need to understand everything to be learning. Again, this sounds crazy, but adult learners often believe that they need to understand EVERYTHING to be learning. Not necessarily true. Exposure to a new language, imitating in the correct context, and guessing, are all things you do when you are immersed in a new language and are just ‘picking it up’. Think about how babies learn their first language. It is not all done with explanation. None is done by translating to another language. Most is done by imitation and context.
5. Have fun with it and learn to laugh along with/at yourself. Learning a language requires a certain amount of humility. As mentioned, you will make mistakes. In fact, the only way to avoid mistakes is by not trying. We suggest that just adopting an attitude that language learning should be fun and funny is the best first step. Try collecting stories of all the crazy situations that language learning has got you into. All language learners have some great stories to tell.
Of course, it helps if you have a great school to learn in. We believe that at EC Sydney, we can help you improve your English while having the time of your life. Come and join us!
Learn more about our English School in Sydney here.
Please Enter Your Facebook App ID. Required for FB Comments. Click here for FB Comments Settings page