Do you remember the difference between active and passive sentences?
Someone or something is performing an action.
"The cat chased the mouse."
Someone or something is having something done to them.
"The mouse was chased by the cat."
In order to make a passive sentence you need:
If we want to say who performed the action then we must add 'by'.
e.g. "Thousands of toys are bought every Christmas by parents."
Can you convert the following sentences into the passive voice?
1. Jennifer bought the cake.
2. Millions of people visit Cape Town every year.
3. Emily and Patrick ate my chocolate!
4. Sam painted a beautiful picture.
5. Kevin drives Kate to work every day.
6. Peter killed the rat.
7. Caroline eats two bars of chocolate daily.
8. The waves hit the ship.
9. Sophie cleans the kitchen.
10. Everyone watches the fireworks.
Lesson by Caroline Devane