View Our Online English Courses

Australia and New Zealand

Policies, Procedures and Advice

Australia Useful information

Accident and Emergency

In an emergency, dial 000 for ambulance, fire or police.

Confidential help and advice

You are welcome to talk about any problems, and you can receive more help from:

Local Police - non-urgent matters

New South Wales and Queensland: 13 14 44

Victoria: (03) 9247 6666

Lifeline: Lifeline provides crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health support services across Australia

Call: 13 11 14

For confidential assistance to seek and report any incidents or allegation involving actual or alleged sexual, physical or other abuse, contact:

National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family

Violence Counselling Service

Call: 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732), visit

Legal Aid

If you are in a situation where you would like to get legal advice or help, please contact Legal Aid:

The Overseas Students' Ombudsman

The Overseas Students' Ombudsman us also here to help you. If you are on a student visa you can contact them to find out more.

Call: 1300 362 072

Stay Safe

We want your stay in Australia – it's a wonderful place – the people are kind and friendly, but as in every country, you should take sensible precautions e.g. don't leave your belongings unattended. Always walk in groups at night or take a taxi home.

When using a public phone, stand facing outwards, so that you can see what's going on around you.

Be aware of others around you at cash points machines and try not to use them at night or places which are not very well lit.

Avoid carrying large amounts of cash with you when you are out.

Avoid getting off the bus one of two steps early just to save money, make sure you plan ahead for your journey home.

Always carry enough change and/or a telephone card to make a call or to get a taxi (even if you have a mobile)

Use a licensed taxi

Stay safe and alert, don't listen to music on headphone or have long conversations on your mobile phone.

Health Advice

For 24-hour health advice you can call: 1800 022 222


Information about visas, conditions etc.can be found at

Your Right to Work

If you are holding a student visa, you are permitted to work for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight, if you are holding a working holiday visa, you can work and study for up to one year. You must apply for Tax File Number before applying for a job. More information can be found at:

Policies and Procedures for our students in Australia

Cancellation and Refund Policy and Procedure (PDF)

Deferment Suspension or Cancellation of Enrolment (PDF)

Student Privacy Policy

New Zealand Useful Information

Police, Fire Service, Ambulance or Search and Rescue

Call: 111.

Lifeline (NZ)

For free community helplines (Lifeline 24/7, Suicide Crisis Helpline, Kidsline) as well as text support service HELP (4357)

24/7 Helpline |0800 LIFELINE (0800 54 33 54) or free text HELP (4357)

Family violence organisations and websites

Legal aid


After all internal procedures are exhausted, if an international student is dissatisfied with a contractual or financial issue, they can contact iStudent Complaints:
Phone: +64 4 918 4975
Mail: PO Box 2272, Wellington 6140, New Zealand

For an issue that is not contractual or financial, they can contact the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
Phone: +64 4 802 3000
Mail: P.O. Box 160, Wellington, New Zealand

Keeping safe

Free health advice

Visa to study in New Zealand

Visit Immigration New Zealand at

Working on a student visa

Visit Immigration New Zealand at

Quality assurance

EC English Australia Pty Ltd, Trading as EC English (New Zealand) Limited, Education organisation number: 6667, NZBN: 9429047108530, is in the process of aquiring a category rating and will undergo the next phase of the registration process (EER) shortly. Details are available at

International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS)

EC English Australia Pty Ltd, Trading as EC English (New Zealand) Limited, Education organisation number: 6667, NZBN: 9429047108530, commits to fully complying with the DRS rules which are available at
iStudent Complaints is an independent dispute resolution scheme established by the New Zealand Government. Details are available at


The campus is easily accessible by car, bus or on foot. It is also served by the public transport network. More information can be found at

Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016

EC English Australia Pty Ltd, Trading as EC English (New Zealand) Limited, Education organisation number: 6667, NZBN: 9429047108530, has agreed to observe and be bound by the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016. Copies of the Code are available from the NZQA website at


Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through Immigration New Zealand, and can be viewed on their website at

Eligibility for health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed on their website at

Accident insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website at
Medical and travel insurance
International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand.

Policies and Guidelines for our students in New Zealand

New Zealand Attendance and Discipline Pathway (PDF)

New Zealand Cancellation and Refund Policy (PDF)

New Zealand Cheating and Plagiarism (PDF)

New Zealand Drug and Substance Use Guidelines (PDF)

New Zealand Fire and Safety (PDF)

New Zealand Grievance and Complaints Procedures (PDF)

New Zealand Harassment (PDF)

New Zealand Regulations for International Students (PDF)

New Zealand Student Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures (PDF)

New Zealand Student Welfare Useful Contacts (PDF)

New Zealand Summary Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students (PDF)

Student Privacy Policy for students in New Zealand (PDF)

Not sure which EC English course is right for you?

EC offers a broad range of courses to help you meet your goals. Let us help you find the perfect course for you.

Contact us